The Mental Health and Wellness Student Initiative Fund is a grant that is administered by the Health Education and Promotion department within the Student Success Centre, Division of Students.
In recognizing that wellness is a necessary pre-condition to learning and working, York University has developed this new Fund. It aims to support innovative, student-led initiatives that promote a healthy, inclusive and supportive environment that fosters mental health and well-being among members of the York student community.
A total of $1000.00 is available to each of 5 registered student clubs at York University.
How is the funding allocated?
Decisions related to allocating funding are determined by an independent committee who will score each proposal based on the rubric found in the downloadable Mental Health and Wellness Student Initiative guide. The clubs with the highest overall scores will be awarded funding.
And the Funding has been awarded to...
The 5 proposals awarded funding are listed below in no particular order:
- Jack.org Mental Health Symposium
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Mentorship Program (AMP)
- Woman Mental Health Talks (WMHT)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies Students’ Association (BESSA) Workshop
We want to thank each and everyone of you for your commitment to thinking about how to contribute to making York a mentally healthy campus. The well-being of our community continues to be such an important discussion and requires joint effort to foster well-being for all.
Congratulations to those selected. We encourage all groups to continue striving for ways to well-being and thank you for your dedication and hard work.
What's happening now?
Below is a list campus-wide initiatives that have been funded:
Bachelor of Environmental Studies Students’ Association (BESSA) Workshop
- A series of free workshops for students who want to learn holistic healing practices that incorporate the natural environment. These workshops are designed to be beneficial to the mental health and overall wellbeing of students, and will include a healing circle, mindfulness and embodied movement activities, and discussions around the experiences of being a university student. We hope to have students use the techniques learned in the workshops to help with handling stressors from school and everyday life.
- When: March 15 and March 22, 12PM-2PM, HNES 141
- To RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jack.org Mental Health Symposium
- The Jack.org Mental Health Symposium is a FREE event that aims to empower and educate students to lead a “mental health revolution” through unique workshops and speaker presentations, so that all young individuals are able to receive the care they need without shame.
- WHEN: March 19, 2PM-715PM, 152 Founders College
- To RSVP: Click here
Autism Mentorship Program (AMP)
- The Autism Mentorship Program at York University is hosting a Stress Management Workshop followed by a free pizza and game night for students who self-identify as being on the Autism Spectrum. The first half of the event will focus on teaching strategies for stress management followed by a pizza dinner and games for the second half. Students are welcome to join at any point and it is open to all York or Senaca@York students
- WHEN: March 22, 430-730PM, Room 164 -Behavioural Science Building
- To RSVP: email@example.com (please include any dietary restrictions you may have in your email)
If you have any questions regarding the proposal and/or application process please email Suruthi Ragulan, Project Coordinator.